- The Educator’s Room Statement on the Appointment of Betsy DeVos - February 7, 2017
- What I Hope for The Educator’s Room in 2017 - January 1, 2017
- [Podcast] What’s Best for Children: An Interview with Susan Ochshorn - December 29, 2016
- Who Will Care for the Teachers: A Podcast on Teacher Depression - November 27, 2016
- [Podcast S2E12] How to Engage With Students Who Are Behaviorally Challenged - November 22, 2016
- The Whole Teacher Movement… We Need It Now… - November 14, 2016
- [Election 2016] What Do We Tell Our Children? - November 9, 2016
- [Podcast S2E11] Hi, I’m a Teacher and I’m Homeless - November 7, 2016
- Revamping Your Resume for a Career Change - October 23, 2016
- [Podcast S2E10] The Microaggressions of Mispronouncing a Student’s Name - October 12, 2016
Welcome to Episode 1 Season two of The Educator’s Room podcast! In this episode, Franchesca interviews, Colette Bennett, Literacy Teacher Extraordinaire and proponent of choice in reading.
This year we are going around the world to talk to educators who are doing awesome things- just like you. Starting the school year is always tough for teachers as we try to balance what the pacing guide says and what we know our kids need.
During this podcast we will discuss:
- strategies to encourage teachers to allow students to have a choice in what they read for class.
- possible roadblocks for teachers and students in choosing books for their readings.
- strategies to encourage independent reading in the classroom.
- advice for administrators to understand the shift in practices with independent reading and choice in reading selection.
Resources discussed in the podcast
Colette’s blog: www.usedbookclassroom.wordpress.com
Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It-–Order here.