- Quinta Brunson + ABC Network Sued For Copyright Infringement For Television Show ‘Abbott Elementary’ - July 18, 2022
- We Crowdsourced What Teachers Said Can Stop Gun Violence in Schools - May 27, 2022
- Weird News: Why Are People Asking Quinta Brunson To Do a 'School Shooting' Episode? - May 25, 2022
- After Another School Shooting, No More Words. - May 25, 2022
- Teacher Appreciation Week Deals 2022 - May 2, 2022
- Abbott Elementary When Discretionary Funds Are On the Line - April 6, 2022
- Abbott Elementary Tackles Tik Tok Challenges - April 6, 2022
- The Dangerous Suppression of “Don’t Say Gay” - March 23, 2022
- How to Use TikTok in the Science Classroom - March 21, 2022
- Seven Women Who Shaped My Teaching - March 17, 2022
In an episode straight out of the Twilight Zone, Twitter users have shown how tone-deaf they are to what happens in schools. Abbott Elementary Creator, Quinta Brunson, revealed that users have been asking her to create an episode that's a little bit too close for comfort- one centered around a school shooting. This is in the wake of the mass shooting of 19 children and 2 teachers at Robb Elementary School in Ulvade, Texas that has devastated the world. The alleged shooter, Salvador Ramos legally purchased two AR-15 assault rifles on his 18th birthday- ultimately using one to murder innocent children and teachers.
Neeedless to say Brunson was not a fan of Abbott Elementary fans suggesting that they create a season finale around a possible school shooting.
Abbott Elementary was a runaway hit this Spring as the comedy centered around a group of dedicated, passionate teachers- and a tone deaf principal who teach at a Philadelphia public school. The show was renewed for a second season after fans quickly latched on to the quick humor on the show Brunson created among a bevy of new fans.
Despite her runaway success of creating a hit show, she's no stranger to public education. Her mom was a former Kindergarten teacher and Burnson went to school with her until 5th grade. She's credited her mom's real life situations as research for the show.
She imeaditely asked for fans of the show to instead of asking the show to address the issue, but to hold their elected officials accountable. Brunson adds, "I don't want to sound mean, but I want people to understand the flaw in asking for something like this. we're not okay. this country is rotting our brains. im sad about it."
Brunson completed her Twitter feed with a simple reminder that it is politicians need to act on gun violence. "Make them listen. They ran for office," she wrote. "This show did not."