- Opinion: The Teacher Stories We Tell Ourselves: Let’s Assume the Best - February 18, 2021
- Teachers, If You Can’t Tell the Truth, You Might Need a Different Job - January 19, 2021
- Publishing So White: 7 Essential Black Young Adult Authors - December 17, 2020
- That’s Doctor to You: Toxic Sexism & Dr. Jill Biden - December 14, 2020
- What Do We Make of All This? 10 Must-Read Research Articles on COVID & Schools - December 9, 2020
- Rebranding the Dreaded Essay: How to Demystify Essays and Make Them Meaningful During COVID-19 - December 3, 2020
- The ABCs of Online Learning - November 17, 2020
- Now That Betsy Devos is on Her Way Out, Here Are 7 Picks for Her Replacement - November 8, 2020
- The F Word: Feminism in 2020 - November 4, 2020
- Disrupt Grind Culture, But How? - October 30, 2020
Dr. Jill Biden: Championing Community College for All
“I teach because I believe education is the great equalizer. Every day in my classroom I see the power of education to break down barriers, to open students’ eyes to the possibilities around them, and to provide them with opportunities to grow into the people they aspire to be.”
While she will probably have her hands full as the very first FLOTUS, we’d be remiss if we overlooked Dr. Jill Biden, one of our own in the white house. Biden is a long time educator who chose to keep her job at Northern Virginia Community College, even as the second lady under the Obama administration. She gave her DNC convention speech from her former classroom, and she claims “Teaching is not what I do, it’s who I am.”
She calls community colleges “one of America’s best-kept secrets,” so we’d expect free community college if she were in office. This is in line with President-Elect Joe Biden’s plan to invest in community college and support the middle class. We’d also expect similar investments in teacher pay and school resources.
Click here for more of our picks.