- First They Came For "CRT," Now They're After "Gender Ideology" - July 22, 2022
- What Ida B. Wells Can Teach Educators About Fighting for Truth - July 18, 2022
- How to Raise an Antiracist: A White Educator's Review - July 6, 2022
- No, Slavery Was Not "Involuntary Relocation" - July 5, 2022
- Teachers Are Burnt Out, But Students Are Too - March 24, 2022
- 10 Books That Changed My Teaching Practice - January 6, 2022
- Instead of Being the Phone Police, This Teacher Tried A Restorative Approach to Cell Phones - November 17, 2021
- Really, Though, Why Do We Say The Pledge of Allegiance? - September 27, 2021
- Why Every School Needs An Equity Team - August 23, 2021
- To Mask Or Not To Mask? Wear the Mask; Protect our Kids - July 22, 2021
Dr. Jill Biden: Championing Community College for All
"I teach because I believe education is the great equalizer. Every day in my classroom I see the power of education to break down barriers, to open students’ eyes to the possibilities around them, and to provide them with opportunities to grow into the people they aspire to be."
While she will probably have her hands full as the very first FLOTUS, we’d be remiss if we overlooked Dr. Jill Biden, one of our own in the white house. Biden is a long time educator who chose to keep her job at Northern Virginia Community College, even as the second lady under the Obama administration. She gave her DNC convention speech from her former classroom, and she claims “Teaching is not what I do, it’s who I am.”
She calls community colleges “one of America’s best-kept secrets," so we'd expect free community college if she were in office. This is in line with President-Elect Joe Biden’s plan to invest in community college and support the middle class. We’d also expect similar investments in teacher pay and school resources.
Click here for more of our picks.